Platelet Rich Fibrin for Periodontal Regeneration
At Coastal Periodontics, we offer the most advanced, natural periodontal treatments available to promote long-term periodontal health and enhance the healing process.
When surgical procedures such as tissue grafts or bone grafts are required, the tissue may not grow back as quickly and entirely as hoped. For these cases, we can use platelet rich fibrin in the periodontal regeneration process.
Platelet rich fibrin treatment can speed up your healing during:
- Gum disease treatment, including pocket reduction, periodontal regeneration or gingival flap surgery.
- Root canal treatment to remove bacterial infection.
- Dental implant surgery for either removable or permanent dentures.
- Soft tissue grafts where gum tissue is added to cover exposed tooth roots and to prevent further gum decay.
- Bone grafts to promote healing and ensure the graft begins to regenerate bone.
What Is Platelet Rich Fibrin?
Platelet rich fibrin is a protein in your blood that promotes clotting. We draw blood and quickly spin it in a centrifuge for 10 minutes or more. This separates the platelets from your blood cells and activates them so they will assist with blood clotting. After activating, the platelets release proteins that facilitate tissue regeneration.
The Benefits of Platelet Rich Fibrin
Platelet rich fibrin is obtained from your own blood. Because of this, it is beneficial for healing your surgical wounds. Since it comes from the part of your blood that aids in clotting and tissue regeneration, it is able to speed up the healing process and has shown that the fibrin will generate stronger, healthier tissue or bone. Platelet rich fibrin is also easy to prepare, easy to apply, leading to more efficient cell growth.
Studies by the US National Institutes of Health have shown that platelet rich fibrin treatment:
- promotes soft tissue regeneration
- aids in bone regenerative surgery, especially in elderly patients
- promotes hemostasis — stopping the flow of blood
- has a low risk with consistently favorable results
See How Platelet Rich Fibrin Treatment Can Speed Up Your Healing
To determine whether platelet rich fibrin treatment can speed up your healing, schedule a consultation. Contact us online or call 979-258-3491 today.