Don’t be confused; dental implants are not dentures. When many of our patients first walk into Coastal Periodontics and Dental Implants at Lake Jackson, they are curious to learn more about dental implants. Dr. Tredinick explains that implants are just the first step towards regaining their smiles.
Dental implants are small titanium posts inserted into the jaw bone to provide an attachment point for a crown or denture. Only after recovering from the implant placement surgery is tooth replacement possible.
Depending on the type of oral damage you have, Dr. Tredinick offers several dental implant options. Each option begins with a comprehensive dental exam that includes a 3D image. Only then do we develop a customized treatment plan to address your specific needs.
- Individual implants create an attachment point for a single tooth replacement that our collaborative dentists can add later.
- Implant-supported bridges require multiple implants and are appropriate for replacing several missing teeth in a row. After healing, your dentist can attach artificial teeth that will match perfectly with your natural teeth.
- All-on-4 implant supported dentures may be the best choice for patients who need to replace most of their bottom or top teeth. After extracting any remaining natural teeth, the dentist will insert four implants. After healing, a complete set of artificial teeth attaches to the implants.
Patients with a thin jawbone may need to undergo a bone graft. Minimally invasive techniques as SMART bone grafts as well as conventional bone grafting techniques are available at Coastal Periodontics to strengthen the area and allow for a solid and secure dental implant. Bone grafts may require transplanting healthy bone from a different location or, in some cases, a synthetic bone graft is possible. Either method requires full recovery before adding dental implants.
How Long Does It Take for Dental Implants to Heal?
Inserting dental implants is a surgical procedure that takes time to heal completely. However, many of our patients are back at work within a few days after the outpatient surgery.
As everyone and every procedure is different, it is impossible to know exactly how much time it will take you to recover from your dental surgery, but Dr. Tredinick will give a better estimate after examining you.
A few of the factors that can increase healing time:
- The number and type of your dental implants
- Whether you require a bone graft
- Your overall health and any existing medical conditions
Depending on the extent of your procedure and other factors, it can take months for dental implants to heal, but many people recover quicker and there are techniques that can help speed up the process.
Recover Quicker with Our Platelet Rich Fibrin Treatment Option
Allowing enough time to heal after dental implants is essential, but at Coastal Periodontics, we know you want to get back to living your life as soon as possible. That is why we offer our patients advanced platelet rich fibrin treatment to help significantly reduce the recovery time for our dental implant patients.
Platelet rich fibrin treatment works by stimulating the platelets in your blood so they can better regenerate tissue and help repair bone. This treatment is particularly effective for patients who undergo a bone graft as part of their dental implant procedure.
“It’s been a big success. The staff is great, very comprehensive and go through a lot to explain everything. Dr Tredinick is kind enough to always call and check on me, or spend whatever length of time to answer my questions.”
– Allen Rogers
What to Eat After Dental Implant Surgery?
You may not feel much like eating after your surgery, but it is essential to maintain a healthy diet in the days and months following dental implants. However, we recommend soft types of food during the first few days.
What not to eat within the first 48 hours after dental implant surgery:
- Skip anything hot. Even warm foods can cause increased sensitivity and pain. This includes broths, soups, drinks, and hot or warm liquids.
- Sorry, but as much as you may think that a stiff drink is just what you need, it’s best to postpone happy hour for a couple of days.
What you should eat during the first 48 hours:
- Smoothies are perfect post-dental implant surgery meals. They are cold and loaded with nutrition. Try straining them before drinking to get rid of any large chunks, and remember not to drink with a straw.
- Chilled, smooth soups are perfect. If you need some new recipes, check out this Food & Wine article for lots of ideas.
- If you are craving something sweet, milkshakes, pudding and applesauce are perfect.
After a couple of days, you can begin to reintroduce some soft and warm foods to your diet. But any crunchy, sticky, chewy, acidic or hot food or drink is not a good idea. Remember, it is vital to get enough protein, so try adding protein shakes or powders to your diet.
Excellent food choices include:
- Soft scrambled eggs
- Mashed potatoes with gravy
- Ground beef
- Canned tuna
Don’t Delay, Talk to Our Periodontist and Caring Staff Today
Unfortunately, damaged teeth don’t improve over time, and waiting too long to address oral issues only makes things worse. Our experienced periodontist at Coastal Periodontics is always ready to assist you when it comes to any of your dental implant needs. If you are in the Lake Jackson, Texas, area, make an appointment to talk with us about the process for dental implants and how we can create a custom treatment plan for your needs.
Chew Without Pain. Get a Beautiful Smile.
Dental implants can change your life. Explore your options for dental implants with Coastal Periodontics’ state-of-the-art technology.
New Patient Special: Support the Charity of Your Choice
Get a complete exam, X-rays and 3D CT scan all for $250. We’ll create a personalized care plan for the treatment that is best for you, whether the revolutionary Pinhole Technique for gum recession, laser assisted treatment for gum disease, and a variety of implant procedures to replace missing teeth or support dentures. Plus, you’re supporting your community – we’ll donate a portion of your fee goes to the charity of your choice.